Designed and Constructed: Emily Tracy Maximilian Marshall as ‘Lumina’
Lumina were commissioned to design and build a site-specific lit sculpture for ‘Paradise Gardens’, Victoria Park, East London. Originally a Pagoda used to stand at the edge of the lake in Victoria Park until 1956. It had been an entrance to an exhibition in Hyde Park and was brought to Victoria Park in 1847. In 1964 a children’s Zoo was proposed next to the pagoda, but was never realised. This was the inspiration for this piece. Lumina created a 5 metres high Pagoda. The lightweight structure was internally lit and spun. It was filled with animals from a fantastical imaginary Zoo and small detailed paper cut images adorns the edges. It was accompanied by its own especially composed soundtrack. Workshops were run to create floating lotus lanterns.